Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Chatting up a cabbie...


Yeah I'm still going around in cabs, the license hasn't taken all my modesty away. Well,I hopped into one today, and an old Santa-only-thinner-looking cabbie happened to look at me through the rear-view mirror. Not the sort to entertain such glances, i looked away, pretending nothing happened.
There was something very fatherly...rather Grandfatherly about him though, i then realised. So i gave him my standard you-can-talk-to-me-now look and managed a half-smile.
He guessed by my attire that i was Pakistani (yeah a Salwar I sported..as per my Instructor's instructions, a sure way to lure the examiners and pass the test, he believes). This green-signalled our 15minute long conversation which got me nose-diving into the inner workings of a mere Pathan.
I didn't hesitate when he asked me if I had a brother, realising it was only a healthy discussion, and convincing myself that no Musalman would act funny during Ramzan.
His face then turned from I'm-sick-of-driving to You-don't-have-a-brother?! in less than a minute. Said Pathans don't stop at just daughters, they NEED a son. That startled me! NEED a son? For what? So he leaves home when he's 21 and forgets about his folks once he gets a wife? Son's are no different from daughters for crying out loud!
We then moved on to a rather hot debate on why the discrimination still exists in many narrow minds. Old folks prefer sons so they can carry their name forward. I think that's just bullshytte! What for carying names forward, when they're not gonna look after you when you're alive! Now, i'm not discriminating against sons, they're not bad at all. But what bothers me, is the problem they have with daughters.
We're not dying to get married and leave the house y'know. This society's so hypocritical! They send us away..and then blame us for going away! What the fuck?!
Children, whatever sex, are all equal, someone tell him that! He had a point though, the village he lived in is very critical and look down at you if you don't have a son. So 'try till you succeed' it is!
Thank heavens for the small-ness of Abu Dhabi, I was at my destination before this got out of hand!
Ah well, i shall stop ranting about sons and daughters here. My peeps love me, and that's all I care about!
Not wanting to sound mean or ignorant...i'm going to leave this debate to you guys. Feel free to comment and share your thoughts!
If you got nothing to say...try amusing yourself with the red and white Xmark at the top of this page to the right :P

9 comments:

ViNi said...

'eh?!?!?! ppl still do ask questions like this?! u hve said it perfectly well, to quote, "wtf!"..indeed!!!
So wht r u supposed to do, try till u get a 'son'? wht better way to increase the population?
anyhowz 'societyz' alwyz weird for some reason..let them be.
Boys and gals are equal!!!..hmmf!

ViNi said...

http://hmmm-vini-wonder.blogspot.com/

-> thtz my link btw. will add U..thnk U!!!..:-)

MaliZOMG said...

'WTF'

My sentiments exactly. This topic isn't even worth discussing, especially with ignorant (and possibly illiterate Cabbies).

In Other News:

SHOW YOURSELF!

M

Lhjunkie said...

^ What he said.

I read somewhere that in a village, two parents who were sick of having girls named their last daughters "bas kar" and "kaafi"
Grr.

Similarly, somebody approached my mom a few odd years ago and asked her about how many children she had. When she responded, "three daughters" that SoB actually had the never to say, "You poor thing. Surely, you'll be paid back in heaven."

*grunt*

Nioniel said...

HAHA,, so WTF saved the day eh?
Thanks for taking time out n writing stuff here...n Mali's right..not worth discussing anymore!
So just let's leave it at that. BTW Uzma, we're @ girls too..and mom gets stares from a fair share of people everytime we're back home.So ^5 on that one :S

I saw you guys today! you're sitting right beside me..near the entrance to University. wasn't feeling too good today though..so i kept the introduction bit for a later time...gotta make a good first impression :P

So i shall see you both around soon..and make sure to wave this time =D

Nioniel said...

and Vinita my dear...no need for all the gratitude, all's fair in blogosphere now, isn't it?

i'm gonna have a peek at your blog soon :P

Sharon said...

my dad was the greatest when some areshole commented on me and my sis. he whipped out a calculator, estimated what it would cost to raise a child, told the guy to give him the money and dad would adopt a son...the dude was speechless...lmao...was awesome!!!

Anamika said...

the boy-girl thingy again...hee hee..nice read...thanks for commenting on my blog :)

Mr Mushroom said...

oh wells...desi mentality...bleh